Sunday, February 5, 2012

Firenze's secret bakery


Friday night I had the pleasure of going to one of Florence's secret bakeries with a few of my newest friends. It was a little sketchy to begin with, especially since my
friend Joel told us we needed to be really quiet and know exactly what we were going to order. We left my place just before 1am, when one of the bakers will open the door and take your order. It was just around the corner in an alley off of an alley, again, it was a little sketchy. Soon after we turned down the first alley we saw the side alley with other students waiting, impatiently, at the door. It wasn't very obvious that there was a bakery there, save for the sweet smells filling the area.
The door was just made of glass, but the kind of glass that's on a shower, where it's not transparent but not opaque.


There were a lot of students from NYU and Gonzaga, so we met a lot of other American students who were doing the same as us and experiencing the secrets of Florence. Finally the door opened a little and an italian man came out and talked to the first group of students at the door and then disappeared back inside, came back with their order in bags and handed them over, for a euro a piece. I pushed my way forward with money
for the 9 of us and gave our orders and when he came back with them we passed the bags out to our friends, paid, and walked out of the side alley. Oh. My. God. I got a chocolate croissant. SO AMAZING. It literally tasted like pure sugar in my mouth.


1 comment:

  1. Sort of like Sienfeld's soup nazi....know what you want to order and no discussion! ndb

    ReplyDelete